I. General indications
1. The courses will be mainly taught in Italian (a simultaneous translation service from Italian into English will be activated for international students);
2. The admission to the courses is limited (max. 20 students per course: 15 in person and 5 online) and the admission is based on a selection whose criteria are reported at section IV;
3. the final number of students and the effective activation of the online class may be subject to a subsequent evaluation by YAC srl in relation to the participation preferences advanced by the candidates.
4. The courses will be held at YACademy’s campus in via Borgonuovo, 5, Bologna, Italy.
5. YACademy reserves the right to modify the calendar and the program for a better operation of the courses. Possible modifications will be previously communicated to the students.
6. Each course is made up of:
a. lesson modules (i.e. theoretical classes, held in classroom)
b. Special Lectures and Critiques sessions (the latter are reviews sessions connected to the design workshop and held by the guest lecturers);
c. visits and surveys;
d. one-day workshops (days of active design/workshop)
e. a design workshop;
f. a construction workshop, connected to the designs developed during the design workshop;
g. an internship/collaboration proposal of the duration of minimum 2 months and a guaranteed reimbursement to be carried out with one of the academy’s partner firms.
7. The possibility of accessing the activities referred to in the previous points 6.c, 6.d, 6.f is guaranteed exclusively to the students who participate in person: the students who attend the online mode will not be able to participate in these activities, unless it is explicitly reported in the "structure" section of this document.
8. In order for the student to activate an internship/collaboration, as described at p. 6.g, they must:
• have completed the design workshop activity successfully (certified by the workshop tutor for each student);
• have attended at least 75% of the lesson modules as described at p. 6.a, 6.b;
These conditions only apply to students who will attend the course in person. For the online students, the relevant conditions are reported at par. VI.
9. The matching of the students to the professional bodies for the training period is under the total and complete discretion of YACademy, which will keep the host firms’ availabilities into account.
10. The training period/collaboration will be activated within 3 months from the end of the didactic part of the course, which corresponds to the conclusion of the construction workshop. These conditions only apply to students who will attend the course in person. For the online students, the relevant conditions are reported at par. VI.
11. At the end of the course, the students will receive a certificate of attendance.
12. To receive the certificate of attendance, it is fundamental to have attended at least 75% of the lesson modules as described at p. 6.a, 6.b; These conditions only apply to students who will attend the course in person. For the online students, the relevant conditions are reported at par. VI .
13. It is necessary that the applicants who come from extra-EU countries and want to attend the course physically verify the terms and conditions for visa release prior to the publication of the provisional ranking, so as to be able to start the courses according to the set calendar. YACademy staff is available for to possibly release documentation to support the visa application. The visa shall be exclusively required for the part relating to the lessons, therefore for the first 10 weeks of the course. In relation to this necessity and the timing for the visa issuing, YAC suggests that its students apply for tourist visas.
II. Attendance modes
1. Each admitted student can decide their preferred mode of attendance of the courses among 2 different possibilities:
a. Online: enrollment fee is 2.450 € + VAT
b. In Person: enrollment fee is 7.900 € + VAT
2. Each of these modes of attendance has specific characteristics and grants to the students access to different parts of the courses, according to what is described at p. I.7.
3. The choice of attendance mode may be limited according to the places available and the preferences expressed by candidates with a higher position in the ranking.
III. Prerequisites for accessing the courses
1. Being fluent in Italian or English (pre-intermediate fluency, at least level B1).
2. Being students or graduates from one of the following academic courses:
•Architecture and architectural engineering
•Preservation of environmental and architectural heritage
•Preservation and renovation of cultural heritage
The selection committee can admit applicants who hold a different certificate from those mentioned above after examining their CV, portfolio, motivational letter and, possibly, interviewing them.
3. Completing the application procedure as reported in par. V.
4. Paying the administration and enrollment fees (or installments).
1. The applications will be assessed by a selection committee which will assign a score from 0 to 100 to each applicant.
2. The selection committee’s members are:
• Alessandro Cecchini (YAC srl chairman)
• Andreas Fries (Herzog & De Meuron partner)
• Patrick Lüth (Snøhetta partner)
• Nicola Scaranaro (Foster+Partners partner)
• Francesca Singer (SANAA partner)
• Giuseppe Zampieri (David Chipperfield Architects partner)
3. The selection board’s verdict is unquestionable.
4. The selection committee is not obliged to write a comment for each of the submitted applications.
5. Each applicant’s final score will be composed by:
• CV (max 30 points)
•motivational letter (max 20 points)
•portfolio (max 50 points)
6. Besides any other information that the applicant deems interesting, in order to be complete, the CV must also contain:
• the year of graduation and degree mark, for those who have already graduated; non-graduated applicants should specify the presumed date of graduation and presumed degree mark;
•indication of the level of English proficiency according to the CEFR standards.
7. On the basis of the scores, a provisional ranking will be formed and published in each applicant’s online personal area. The best 20 applicants for each course will be admitted according to the scores described at p. 5 in this paragraph.
8. A scholarship (full coverage of the enrollment fee) will be granted to the applicants ranking 1st to 3rd, regardless of the chosen mode of attendance – online or in person -; the first 3 applicants in the ranking are assigned the scholarships univocally: in case one of them refuses the scholarship, this cannot be assigned to any other applicant.
9. The applicants ranking 4th to 20th (included) will be admitted to the course after the enrollment fee payment (€2989 for online, €9638 for in-person attendance).
10. The applicants ranking from 21st on will not be admitted to the course, but maybe admitted following the retirement of some of the admitted applicants; in this case, the course tutor will get in contact with the applicants promptly in case of a second admission round.
11. According to enrollments and retirements, after 14 days from the publication of the provisional ranking, the official ranking will be published in the online private area of each applicant.
12. All the admitted applicants, who have either received a scholarship or not, will be contacted by the course tutor in the days following the publication of the provisional ranking to confirm their enrollment and the chosen mode of attendance of the course (in person or online).
13. In case two or more applicants obtain the same score, priority will be given to the applicant who has received the highest score for their portfolio, and in case of an additional ex aequo, the priority will be given to the applicant who has made the administration fee payment earlier as specified at p. V.5.
14. The selection committee may require a motivational interview for some applicants.
15. The date of the motivational interview will be agreed upon with the applicant and the interview will be carried out via video call.
16. If an applicant does not show up for the interview, they will be automatically excluded from the selection.
1. Access www.yacademy.it.
2. Fill in all the required fields in the personal details form.
3. At the end of the registration procedure, the applicant will receive an email (check the spam folder in case this email is not in the inbox) that contains a confirmation link: click on the link to confirm the registration.
4. Log in to the online personal area with the activated username and password and choose the course to which you want to apply.
5. For the application, the following documents are required:
• a copy of a valid identity document
• motivational letter (max 200 words)
• CV (also in Europass format)
• portfolio (free format)
• administration fee payment of 73,20€ which can be sent through PayPal or bank wire (following the instructions on the online personal area);
The uploaded files shall be in .jpg or .pdf format and of a maximum size of 10MB.
6. The application will be evaluated by YACademy staff, once the administration fee payment has been made and all the required documents have been uploaded.
7. At the end of the revision of the applications, on the day of publication of the provisional ranking, the applicants will be informed of their status in their online personal area:
• ADMITTED WITH A SCHOLARSHIP
• ADMITTED (an additional field will be activated in order to upload the bank wire receipt for the enrollment fee)
• NOT ADMITTED
The applicants are invited to acknowledge the status of their application in order to act accordingly in case of retirement of previously admitted applicants’;
8. In case of admission without a scholarship, the applicant must pay – by the times reported in the “calendar” section of this document - the enrollment fee of
• 9638 € (7900 € + VAT) for those who will attend the course in person;
• 2989 € (2450 € + VAT) for those who will attend the course online.
9. The enrollment fees can be paid:
9.a in one installment, as far as the online mode is concerned;
9.b in one installment or in three installments (with a 6% increase), as far as the in-person mode is concerned, following this scheme:
- 4096,76 € (3358 € + VAT) as confirmatory deposit*;
- 3486,76 € (2858 € + VAT) by the beginning of the lessons*;
- 2632,76 € (2158 € + VAT) as a payoff by the end of the construction workshop*;
*see the “calendar” section to acknowledge the specific dates.
10. Not paying the enrollment fee – or its installments - will exclude the applicant from the course.
11. The enrollment fee – or its installments - must be paid by bank wire to the following IBAN (Solution Bank S.p.A.) IT45X0327302400000600103285 indicating the following reason for payment: “name and surname of the student; course title; enrollment” (e.g. for student John Smith’s enrollment in the Architecture for Exhibition course: “John Smith; Architecture for Exhibition; enrollment”). As for the upload of the receipt of payment, please, follow the instructions on your online personal area.
VI. Online attendance
YACademy offers the opportunity to participate in its courses with the “online” mode. The online participation in YACademy’s courses can take place in two different modes:
1.live streaming; the lessons will be accessible through an online platform, therefore it is necessary that the students have a computer with internet access; the students who take part in the live streaming of the lessons will be given the opportunity to ask questions and interact with the teachers according to the lesson delivery mode and with moderation carried out by YACademy staff;
2. deferred streaming: the lessons will be recorded and made available to students within 5 working days from their delivery so as to allow attendance to students who live in different time zones that are not compatible with the Italian classroom timetable. The lessons will be uploaded on a specific web portal with access reserved to YACademy students. Therefore, it is necessary that the students have a computer with internet access. The students who attend deferred-streamed lessons can send their questions to YACademy staff who will proceed to forward them to the teachers.
For the students who will participate in the course with the “online” mode, either in live-streaming or deferred-streaming mode, it is confirmed that:
3. there are no different registration/evaluation procedures or different rankings: all applicants who wish to participate in the course in person or online are considered equally in the selection and, once they are admitted to the course – either with a scholarship or without - they will decide how to join the course (i.e. in person or online) on the basis of the maximum number of places available and according to the preferences expressed by the admitted students according to their position in the ranking;
4. the interpretation service from Italian into English will be guaranteed to the students who participate in the course online as well;
The students who will take part in the course in the “online” mode:
5. will be able to attend all lessons, except for the parts mentioned at ps. I.6.c, .d, .f, (as described in the chapter “structure” of the course brochure);
6. will be able to participate in the design workshop activities without any limitations (by carrying out their project revision via video call with the workshop tutor)
7. will receive an attendance certificate and will have access to the collaboration/internship envisaged by the course of the duration of minimum 2 months and a guaranteed reimbursement, provided that:
• they have completed the design workshop activity successfully (certificated by the workshop tutor for each student);
• they have passed a final assessment exam (certified by a commission made up of members appointed by the teaching staff and whose final judgment is unquestionable);
With regard to the exam mentioned at point 7.b, it is specified that:
8. the exam will take place online and will consist of a written exam of open-ended questions;
9. the exam can be taken in Italian or English, according to the student’s choice;
10. the evaluation commission will be composed of members of the teaching staff;
11. the exam will focus on the contents of the lesson modules;
12. the exam will take place within 3 weeks after the end of the classes (which corresponds to the conclusion of the design workshop) on a date that will be communicated with at least a 7-day notice;
13. if a student is unable to take part in this exam session, a second date will be set within 21 days after the first scheduled date;
14. if a student is not available to take the exam on any of the two dates, they will not have the right to receive the attendance certificate nor access the collaboration/internship envisaged by the course’s program;
15. the training period/collaboration will be activated within 3 months from the end of the didactic part of the course, which corresponds to the date of the last exam session.
1. This whole document constitutes an integral part of the Terms and Conditions of the service.
2. The applicants agree to the Terms and Conditions when they register.
3. Administration fees and enrollment fees - or their installments - are not refundable under any circumstances.
4. The administration fees and enrollment fees - or their installments - can be paid by a third party, provided that the reason for payment correctly refers to the applicant as indicated at p. V.10.
5. YACademy declines all liability for missing communications depending on incorrect information given by the applicant or missing/late communication of address change (compared to the one indicated during the online registration), and for mistakes attributable to third parties, chance or force majeure.
6. In case an applicant declares false or untrue statements regarding details necessary to the course enrollment, in addition to the sanctions envisaged by Article 76 of the Italian Presidential Decree 445/2000, the applicant’s paid fees will not be refunded. False or untrue statements declared by the applicant may bring to an action for damages carried out by those affected.
7. Applicants will be held accountable for the personal data they provide and the promoter does not assume any responsibility for wrong data provided. The promoter, according to privacy policies, has the right to verify the applicants’ data by requesting a copy of an identity document regarding the data of the registration.
8. The access to the courses and to the training periods can be interrupted for disciplinary reasons or force majeure.
9. Maintaining the firms listed in the course brochure, a complete list of hosting firms for the training periods will be given to the students at the beginning of the course.
10. The result of the educational program (hereafter named “project”), including any (available) intellectual and/or industrial property rights on the project, is owned definitively by YAC srl, which therefore acquires the exclusive right to economic exploitation, as well as reproduction, in any way or form, including the rights to use, execute, adapt, modify, publish on any media channel, exhibit, reproduce and distribute the project - also for marketing and advertising purposes -, carry out editorial reviews, create derivative works based on it, and license the project - or some of its parts - to third parties, in any form, mode or technology including the “right of panorama” without any limitation of time or place.
11. One student cannot benefit from 2 scholarships in the same edition of YACademy courses.